12.15.2009

The Rossini Is Real

A few nights ago, I rolled out to Les Halles for an impromptu dinner for Apex's B-day. I'd been there before, and I've always gotten a steak option. This time, being in the mood, I opted for their Hamburger Rossini. On the menu it's described as a "ground-to-order burger topped with a slice of foie gras," and when it arrived I wasn't disappointed in the least.



A supremely juicy burger, cooked to perfection, sat on a fresh brioche bun. Sitting on top of the burger (where the cheese usually would be) was a chocolate brown slice of melted goodness (read: foie gras). Now I know a lot of folks aren't into foie gras but, frankly, those folks aren't my friends. The subtleties of the rich foie mixed with the lean medium rare burger were unbelievable. But that was just the beginning. This burger came with a dip, much thicker than jus-consistency, and flavored with a deep red wine and black truffles. No ketchup required. Those that know my style understand that that is huge. I'm a traditionalist. Burgers get ketchup, as do fries (unless there's a nice dijon nearby). Needless to say, with the flavors happening on my plate, the Heinz went unopened.

No comments:

Post a Comment